Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Why I am a Christian?



Why I am a Christian? This has always been a very pertinent existential concern for me. First of all, though we may have differences of opinion on who is called a Christian, I can, nevertheless, feel fundamentally positive about a tradition that is significant for me; a tradition in which I live side by side with so many others, past and present. Because I would not dream of confusing the great Christian tradition with the present structures of the Church or leaving a definition of true Christian values to its present administrators.
Christian faith provides answers for the questions of great whys and wherefores of humanity and the world. It is a basic orientation for my individual and social self. And at the same time, I find in these things a spiritual home on which I do not want to turn my back, any more than I want in politics to turn my back on democracy. God is “super-personal”, yet a genuine partner who is kind and absolutely reliable, a partner to whom we can communicate. God is the foundation of the personal nature of human beings, and hence He cannot be ‘a-personal’ either. He is not ‘sub-personal’ too. God does not merely demand but gives; who does not oppress, but liberates; who does not make people ill, but heals them. He is a God who cares for those who fall-and who does not fall? He is God who forgives instead of condemning, liberates instead of punishing, makes grace rule instead of law; who rejoices more over the repentance of one sinner than over 99 just people. He is, therefore, a God who prefers the prodigal son to the one who stayed at home, the tax collector to the Pharisees, the Samaritan heretics to the Jews, the prostitutes and adulterers to the self-righteous judges. Jesus did not preach excommunication, but an inclusive community called Kingdom of God. I love and believe in this God. What about you?

4 comments:

jeri said...

God's love on the cross is so beyond physical measurement and comprehension by human mind. Agape is perfect that it is totally unconditional and eternal (at all times) that it just compels us to live with him - and that I beleive is the essence of Christianity.

Mothy Varkey said...

@Jeril: I agree with you Jeril. Thanks for your input!

Allan Parapuram said...

Thoughtful post, does it matter why you or I am a Christian? Perhaps the more important question is why am I spiritual (or looking for God). The only reason I am a Christian is that I was born to a Christian family and baptised me in a church whom I accompanied to Church every Sunday. However, I think I am a practising Christian now only because from that background, I am a spiritual person seeking God and looking for redemption (in the way and method that I was thought in). I belive that this would also apply to the spiritual person who belongs to another religion. My point is that there are many people who are christians or hindus etc who are not practising because they are not spiritual. Not sure if I added anything to this as I may be rambling :) Hope the Youth Camp is going well.

Mothy Varkey said...

Hi Allan, thanks for your comment. Its important that we must think of our 'christian identity' beyond the religious and denominational definitions.If not we would become fundamentalists, forgetting the fundamentals! God bless!